As planned, I spent the week working on creating characters and environments.
Not much to say. Problems were encountered and solved. For now, I'm satisfied with what I've put together.
I still have a couple of environments and characters to work on but I should be able to start writing for day 6 part 2 this week.
There will be only 8 scenes in part 2 but it's packed with moments I can't wait to tell. I've been rehashing them so much that it's just waiting to burst out. As usual, my biggest problem will probably be not to get carried away. Or at least, not too much.
As always after a release, the week has been busy with various things and despite having removed some lines from my task list I feel like I didn't advance much.
The Trello board.
I reworked it. I'll post more detailed information for each task, like numbers of words, images posed and rendered... You will be able to visualize my progress more easily.
The trigger lists.
They are up to date and I added a trigger list for the dom paths and the Moronic Hero, Evil Asshole and Psychotic Knight Path. Some paths are still missing but they are very straightforward for now, so I don't think they really are necessary. Let me know if you feel the need for those!
I reworked the story map. I can tell you that Day 6 part 2 will contain 8 new scenes.
I started working on them. So far, I'm not really happy with what I come up with. I have a fairly precise idea of what I want but I struggle to find the assets I need. I spent about three hours searching for some decent seamless patterns today. And it wasn't a pleasing experience.
Release for Gunners.
Tomorrow is release day, again, this time for the gunner tier. I'm building the distribution as I write these lines and I will upload them during the night. Summer Scent v0.6.1b will bring some typo and bug and logic error corrections.
I have yet to make and upload the builds but everything should be ready for tomorrow.
I'll start with the bad news.
Your saves may not be compatible with the new release. I modified the code of previous episodes and those changes have consequences.
Some saves will load just fine but won't allow you to roll back, some others will have you restart at the start of the previous scene, and some others just won't load properly.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I had no other choice. This will happen again in the future, as I'll have to rework some old code to implement new features.
I have many things to do before I can really start working on part 2.
Rework the Trello Board. The board is no longer an efficient way to present the progression of the development. I need to rethink it for something more detailed.
Updat the trigger lists. That's going to be the first thing I'll work on this week. Most of the trigger lists are fine but I'll need to put together a map for some paths that got... a bit more complicated.
Rework the story map. As I changed my plans and the way I split the story into several parts, I need to rework some elements and see if I can make smaller updates and still keep a balanced content. I already began working on that part but nothing is really fixed so far.
Create characters and environments. I'll need four to five new characters and at least four new environments for part 2. I'll need to hunt the assets I need and create the ones I miss.
To these immediate tasks, I can already add a few features I want to include in part 2.
Music! And maybe even some sound effects. It's something I can't postpone anymore.
Rework the point system. I'm not happy with the point system currently in the game. I want something more visual and simple. I have ideas to work on.
Rework the notification system. There again. I'm not happy with the current notifications. I want something more flexible and useful to the player.
With these new features, Summer Scent should begin to feel like a proper game.
Day 6 part 1 early access for Sailing Masters starts tomorrow.
I hope you'll like it!
As always, thank you for your support and your patience.
Post-processing is done. It took way longer than I expected. Turns out that editing a thousand images, even if you barely spend about three minutes per file on average... Well, that's 50 hours of work.
But it's done.
Tomorrow, I'll start applying corrections and testing the whole thing. There are also a few things I have yet to implement, like the achievements for that episodes and a better textbox.
I hope to start the beta test around next Wednesday.
I'm late on the bonus renders for October and I haven't posted the poll for the next round. I have to postpone all that to November as I try to focus on finishing that update.
I promise I'll make up for this. I'll have all the time I need once V0.6 part 1 will be released.
The posing and the rendering of scene 10 are done. I've been working on the coding since Wednesday afternoon. Three fourth of the scene is coded I should be able to finish it tomorrow and send it for proofreading.
Remains to be done :
The renders are done, I need to post-process them with basic denoising contrast and colour correction. Probably three days of work there. There is also a new tool I want to try. It could lead to something interesting.
Applying the corrections.
As soon as scene 10 is proofread, I have the entire script to rectify. It's usually pretty easy and fast to do.
Testing and balancing.
Before even beta testing the game I need to play and tweak the tests and conditions that structure it.
The beta test.
I plan on a week of beta testing. Fingers crossed we don't find any game-breaking problem.