End of week report
Hey guys! Lots to report on this week. We:
1) Migrated the refactored source code to a new git repository
Possibly the geekiest sentence I've ever constructed, but it was an important technical step. Hyneman and Lara set up a new group working environment for our new, reörganised source code. This will help us work better as a team.
2) Finalised the game mechanics
An important objective from the MFAGA plan. We finalised the core game mechanics – Attributes, Kinks, Quirks, Skills and dice rolls. This will help us write new scenes faster.
3) Designed the Attributes, Kinks, and Quirks selection UI
There's no point having game mechanics you can't interact with! Victoria designed the specific UIs that let you select and modify your heroine's Attributes, Kinks and Quirks. This will let you customise your heroine in more detail. Lara, Hyneman and Mihail are implementing the designs in the game engine now.
4) Solved a UI implementation problem
Lara did some great work fixing a big technical problem that was preventing us from making the UI work in the way we wanted it to. Hyneman and I were both nerdily excited when she fixed it. 🤓
5) Wrote a new scene
I got to write a new scene! This was cool because the new storyboarding technique let esclavage make some improvements during the outlining phase. You'll get to play it soon (if your heroine is a Rock Chick).
6) Built up our Writer's Bible
Lots of the main plot elements are just in my head, so we've started getting them crystallised into a dev-only Writer's Bible. This has helped clarify some important setting and characterisation issues (this week specifically about DEVILFISH, his organisation, Olivia, and the Joint Task Force).
7) Set up a new live server environment for faster testing
Previously any time a writer or coder wanted to see their words or code in the game engine, we'd need to save the source code, compile it, then run the new file. This doesn't take long, but it does slow down everybody's workflow, so we've set up a new live server environment which lets us make changes and see them reflected in the game code instantly. (Well...we have to press a key. But almost instantly.) This will speed up writing and coding overall.
The next thing to expect is a demo of the improved character creator, showcasing the new avatar, the Attributes-Kinks-Quirks selection, and the new UI. We're presently implementing this and it will be ready soon.
The following release
Following that, we'll release the first revised story chunk of the game. This will be the first Lifepath section (where you get to set whether your agent is a rock chick, an alpha female, etc). We are also presently implementing this, so hopefully it will drop fairly soon after the improved character creator!
Okay, that's it for this week! Thanks for being patient with us while we get all this tech stuff organised – I believe this work is going to finally allow us to get content updates out at a much faster pace than ever before. Imagine not waiting 6 months between releases! 😮 That's why we're doing all this...
I'm going to have a light weekend (including catching up on some books I bought for story research!), but you'll see me around on Discord, so say hi if you want to! Otherwise have a greta weekend and I look forward to reporting more progress next week.