[Experimental] Our Apartment B17: URP Build! UI Revamp! New Variants! Time of Day Switch! More!
Hey peeps, sorry this is so late, I just had more issues on the asset side to fix than I expected. So I started later on implementing things than I wanted. This build is considered experimental cause there may be critical issues I'm not aware of. And several critical issues were found already. As promised though some test builds have been released public on the discord, Android and WebGL currently more soon.
Some quick news Hypnolab is released on steam to some unfortunate technical issues with a VR device we don't own causing most of the negative reviews DX. I'll be spending some time at the start of this month doing fixes, which isn't what I planned, this really sucks in general but I need to help make it right. So expect some quiet after this post. But if you have a HTC Vive or some older VR devices, and like hypnotism and trippy/fantasy scenes, maybe give it a shot and leave a review.
Back to Our Apartment...
It is critical that I get feedback on these builds, there's already issues but more info is better! Now lets go over whats done and whats missing...
Whats done, whats new!
Alright I'mma try and list all this off as best I can without missing things.
- Now rendering with URP! This was a massive change but it's all functional, and comes with a ton of improvements to shaders too! Performance seems better across the board! Android build on low is at least stable 30fps, max appears to be 50 but i need to uncap somehow. There's a few visual downgrades since i can't use my old shadow asset, but I expect things to improve over time!
- New agnostic "profiles", the systems that govern Naomi's arousal, Likes, and certain stats are no long hard coded, and now pull from a "profile" of sorts. This is to prepare for similar projects with different characters (Sorry I've been slow on this).
- Converted majority of sex sim code from bolt to written code! This also means the majority of functions are isolated making testing and adding new scenes easier! Also means if I need some help I can hire someone. There may be some performance improvements because of this! That said though there is some glitches, I need to more thoroughly test this and iron out issues.
- Completely revamped outfit system, and outfit UI! The new UI is in, using a system that lets me add descriptions and set other information per item! There's no icons right now, I'll work on that this month, at the moment it's just too huge a task (I need like maybe 150 thumbnails or something). Same with descriptions, those might be left out for a bit, but if you have descript ideas for items let me know! There's some new features added too, and more slots, states of undress is functionally missing at the moment but will be added next along with outfit saving.
- Preliminary X-Ray toggle! I've been wanting to do this for a long time but I needed some better options. Thankfully the move to URP made this a lot easier. You can now see how deep you're going into Naomi! Next step is adding a symbolic womb with "filled" indication and maybe impregnation indication >:3.
- Preliminary day and night toggle! A quick add but I wanted to test possible issues with time of day lightmap switching. You can currently do this at any time! Right now it's just "evening" and "night" but expect "Morning" and "Afternoon" options and maybe others too (Like a lights off late night version?)
- New Outfit Variants! I've added a bunch of new variants to existing outfit items. I think you'll enjoy them! I forget how many I added, maybe 20 or so. One of them features Belgerum.
- Improvements to male avatar customization and new options! Color selection is now much larger in tabs to make getting the right color easier. There's now Color presets for human and non-human appearances. Hands and head have adjustable transparencies.
- New male "bits" options! Wolf bits with various levels of fur, animal heads from Hunt and Snare (Also on Steam), ALL MALE BITS ARE COLORIZABLE!
- Reformatted main menu planning to transition into "Day screen" functionally not a big deal, just setting up for the future. Appearance may change.
- "Low Quality Shader" and "Sun" toggle to help improve performance on lower end platforms.
- Quite a few things from sex sim, jizz decal effects are not re-added for now. Head petting is disabled (GASP!)cause for some reason Naomi looks horrifying. Some jizz buttons work incorrectly.
- I removed a lot of options from the settings menu due to how massively different things are handled now. They will be re-added over time.
- I have not added the new "From Behind" animations yet, that should be in the next build in maybe a week or two.
- Warning to people who play the current build, if you acess the missionary scene. It will break the 360 camera until you reload the game.
- Light map changes doesn't change indirect lighting so the rendering isn't quite right.
- Occasional odd behavior from sex sim buttons.
- Android: Will crash if quality set to medium or higher, if you do this and it crashes, uninstall or clear the app data. You may need to do this to get the build to run at all the first time.
- WebGL and other platforms: some materials broke and didn't add proper spec map, making some materials look like a mirror.
There's probably more things but they'll be fixed very soon.
I've basically met all my goals, I just need polish and more variant outfit items and the "From Behind" sex sim scene. Everything from here (Besides the full public release) is a beeline to "Demo" meaning a focus on story content and related functions. The Day System and general event triggering is needed to be completed. Along with more saving functions for outfits, and story progression.
It's been a long road, and with the release of Hypnolab once thats stable, I may shift to focusing more fulltime on Our Apartment rather than splitting my time outside of projects I have a generally lower commitment to. I really want to move forward to faster development from now on and I just need to find a path to make that feasible without overworking a more than I already do.
And thanks to everyone supporting on SubscribeStar, Patreon, and itch.io it seems viable that I might be to give this the focus it needs.
Thats all for now, more updates soon.
Thanks for your support!