[1.20] One step back, two steps forward
Hi guys! This week I had to do some rewriting, based on feedback of last week's prototype. As well as being our illustrator, lovely Victoria is also involved in story planning, and she pointed out some characterisation problems that needed to be fixed.
I was a little bit annoyed with her when she pointed it out – mainly because I knew she was right. The same issue had been gnawing at me, too, but I was trying to ignore it because I'm trying to get this episode rattled out ASAP without over-editing it.
That said, life has taught me not only to listen to my instincts, but also to listen to Victoria, so when those two imperatives align I take action. I ended up editing scene 3, and rewriting scenes 4 & 5 – changing two locations and changing the tone and vibe of both scenes.
We both think the characterisation is working much better, and that the whole first half of the episode feels both realer and hotter now. So if, when you play episode 1.20, you find it doesn't suck then please be sure to praise lovely Victoria.
With the editing done, I went on to also prototype scenes 6 & 7 in the game engine. I'm pleased with how they turned out; scene 6 in particular has two moments that I think came out sexier than I'd expected them to. I've pushed the new versions out to story testers for more feedback.
So it was a busy week! It would've been better if I hadn't made a characterisation mistake that needed to be fixed, but the fix went smoothly...and, of course, it's impossible to work without making mistakes. I was pleased with the improvements, I think they're important (and will make the rest of the episode easier to write).
Next week I'll continue prototyping scenes in the game engine. 7 of 11 are done. Have a lovely Sunday, guys, and I'll report on my progress at the end of next week.